DAVID BOVAIRD, of the firm Bovaird & Seyfang, manufacturers of oil tools, Bradford, Penn., is a native of Scotland, born in July, 1834, a sou of William and Dorcas (Walker) Bovaird, who were natives of Ireland. David was the seventh in a family of nine children. He went into a factory to learn the trade of a calico printer, at which he served an apprenticeship, and in 1854. when twenty years old, came to America, whither his parents had preceded him in 1852. He first located in Allegheny county, Penn., where he followed farming, subsequently dealing in cattle, and was also for a time in the coal business. He afterward went to Venango county, and engaged "in teaming, having for a time work for twenty horses. He went to Titusville during the oil boom, and opened a repair shop with Mr. Seyfang, where he had a large custom repairing the machinery and tools used in the oil wells. From there he removed to Bradford, and in 1878 entered into partnership with J. L. Seyfang in their present business, which has increased beyond their most sanguine expectations. They have a branch office in Pittsburgh, which is in charge of Mr. Bovaird's son, Walter. Mr. Bovaird was married in Allegheny City to Mary A., daughter of John McClanahan, and they have six children: Maggie (wife of A. B. Booth), Mary, William John, Walter, David and Joseph H. Mr. and Mrs. Bovaird are members of the Presbyterian Church. In politics Mr. Bovaird is a Republican, and is a member of the A. O. U.W.
- History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, and Forest, Pennsylvania, 1890 pages 337-337