Welcome Guest, • Login


Search the wiki

by Jamie Norwood {Reference:|}.

I recently got a beautiful 6x48 Delta sander from Phil in Dallas, but the lower drum cover was demolished. I hesitated buying a new one, but I actually needed 2, because the other sander I had gotten from Fred/A&M in College Station also needed one. Not as bad, but fixing it would take some time, and some of the broken parts were structural, so it was better to get a new one. I found that the price from wasn't that bad: $40.31 each + shipping. Better than $90.00 for a paper gasket! I ordered two with some hesitation because the part number had changed from xxxxxxx0001 to xxxxxxxx003. Why? I didn't know, and it implied it was the same part and was the replacment for the 0001. That was not to be. As you can see, they are different from the old style.

When I tried to mount it, it wouldn't bolt up. As you can see, the snout rubs on the subbase. They changed ONLY that, and now they don't fit the old style sanders.

As you can see, the newer sanders use a different base casting, allowing the newer covers to clear easily.

I had a few ways to fix it go through my head.

1. Pound the new guard with a hammer to make it clear the base. 2. Grind off the subbase until it clears. 3. Add a spacer between the spindle housing and the swiveling main casting. 4. Add a spacer to the spindle housing where it mount to the subbase.

1&2 were out on grounds that only an idiot would do that to a nice machine. 3 was out on grounds of too much machining. That left 4.

A little experimenting with different thicknesses showed that although 1/4" would clear the snout, it still wouldn't allow the sander to swing to horizontal without rubbing. It took a 1/2" spacer to make everything work. A trip to the metalmonger for some 1/2" x 3" aluminum stock and $21.00 later I had enough material for 3 spacers (one to screw up, two to use).

I turned the subbase over onto the bar stock, and traced around the edge of the casting with a pencil, then with a Sharpie.

Then I ripped the stock to 2 7/8" to keep from having to sand it so much to fit.

Then cut the curves on the bandsaw.

Then sanded and shaped the profile to match the casting.

Then used a transfer punch to locate the holes.

Pretty close, not perfect.

I drilled the holes a little larger than 3/8" to allow for shifting to fit. You need 1/2" longer bolts. They are 3/8 fine thread.

Now it swings and clears in all positions.

You need to adjust the horizontal stop to allow for the 1/2" height increase. You will also need a 1" longer V-belt because we raised the pulley 1/2"

Couple of final shots. Doesn't look too bad, a little paint when I do the restorations and it should blend right in. All in all, a good hour in the shop! Thanks for watching!

I didn't discover until later that for sanders on the CI stands, the spacer causes a problem with the guard being too low. I haven't seen a sander on an open stand with a guard, but I suppose it would be the same problem.

See Also

ScrewTurn Wiki version Some of the icons created by FamFamFam.